During the past year you may have been urged by family, friends, or medical
professionals to have a mammogram. Because only 75% of women over 50 in our
health plan had a mammogram in the past two years, we recently telephoned them
to learn why they had not had this important test. What they told us is surprising!
Based on their feedback, we thought it might be important to discuss some of these
DID YOU KNOW?
• 85% of all breast cancer cases occur in women who have NO family history of
• Breast Cancer found early can be cured. Don’t let your fear cause you to
wait until it is too late. Waiting can make the difference between life and death!
• You don’t need a prescription from your doctor to get a mammogram done.
Most facilities will do a mammogram as long as you have a doctor that they can
send the report to.
• A mammogram shouldn’t be painful, only slightly uncomfortable and only for a
few seconds. If you have had a bad experience in the past, tell the technologist!
There are things that can be done to lessen the discomfort.
• Finally, as a woman over 50 myself, who is dealing with all the busy details of
life – a job, family, activities, I know it is easy to put off getting a mammogram. I
carried my prescription in my purse almost 6 months before I got my mammogram,
and I am a nurse! Don’t follow my bad example! DON’T DELAY – ACT TODAY!
"Seeing the world not as it is, but as it can be"
"Where there is no vision, the people perish." - Proverbs 29:18
Your Success Newsletter - Jan-Feb, 2006 - Published Bi-Monthly